This Years Main Events

Last night, it became official – I’m running the New York Marathon in November. And with that, my racing schedule for the year is pretty much set. More for my own amusement than anything else, here’s what my endurance year is looking like — goals are in order of importance (yes, sometimes finishing is more important than having fun):

Date Event Goal
May 16 Brooklyn Half-Marathon A: Enjoy myself

B: See what the legs have for Vermont two weeks later

C: PR

D: sub 1:45

May 24 Vermont City Marathon A: PR

B: Sub 4

July 19 New York City Triathlon A: Relearn how to do triathlons

B: PR

C: Sub 3:00

Late August Presidential Traverse A: Finish

B: Have fun

November 1 New York City Marathon A: PR

B: Sub 3:45

I’ll surely add some 5ks and 10ks here and there, and I’m thinking about doing an open water race in June, but these are the goal events. I’ve never had this many goal races in a single year. It’s a little intimidating, but also very exciting.

So far, I’m happy with how the training for Vermont is going. I’m running better than I have in a long time and I’m excited to see what this aging body can do. If I can stay healthy, this is going to be a hell of a year.

Advertisements

About seanv2

Scholar, gentleman, jock. I run the website Milo and the Calf. There you will find the Boston Qualifier Questionnaire where runners share their stories of qualifying for the Boston Marathon. You'll also find my thoughts on endurance sports, ancient history, Judaism, and hundreds of book reviews.
This entry was posted in Navel Gazing, Running and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to This Years Main Events

1. golddh says:

that’s a lot of PRs for one year. Regardless, it’s a fun slate of races (I’ve done the brooklyn half and the NYCM) and I’m sure it will be a blast. Best of luck!

2. Modernist Cavegirl says:

Right there with you, down to the pace goals for NYC Tri and Marathon. I’d be running Brooklyn, too, but I’m Sherpa-ing for a friend’s Half Iron Man the same day. See you in Prospect one of these days!

3. smt says:

Best of luck Sean! I will pray to the gods of not getting injured (who have severely let me down as of late!) for you! Can’t wait to read about how these things go..do update us!

• seanv2 says:

Thanks Stephanie! When are you coming down to run the Triboro with me? Also, any interest in the Presidential Traverse in August?

• smt says:

When are you coming to Boston to boulder with me? 😉 When will I ever be uninjured?

• seanv2 says:

I would love to go bouldering with you! Though by now you’re way better than I ever was.

(I miss bouldering a lot by the way, I can’t wait until the little dude is old enough to do it!)